Tuesday, April 17, 2012

GOD HAS PREPARED YOU FOR THIS - 1 SAMUEL 17:33-37

So yesterday, out of nowhere, I get a text from a friend and it reads "1 Samuel 17:33-37 like David, you have been prepared for this very moment. Seize it!"

I did not stop in the moment to read the actual scripture but his text, in general, ministered to me. I knew it was from God and that I need to recognize that everything in my life that has happened to me and that I have faced has prepared me for this very moment. However, it really hit me when I was leaving the gym this morning and I was sitting in my car. I stopped and went back to the text and then I decided to actually read the scripture:

33 And Saul said to David, “You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him, for you are but a youth, and he has been a man of war from his youth.” 34 But David said to Saul, “Your servant used to keep sheep for his father. And when there came a lion, or a bear, and took a lamb from the flock, 35 I went after him and struck him and delivered it out of his mouth. And if he arose against me, I caught him by his beard and struck him and killed him. 36 Your servant has struck down both lions and bears, and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be like one of them, for he has defied the armies of the living God.” 37 And David said, “The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.” And Saul said to David, “Go, and the Lord be with you!”

David's defeat of the lion and the bear were never simply about the lion and the bear. David probably didn't know it then but God was preparing him to have the confidence, assurance, and faith that he needed to face Goliath. David had to face some difficult circumstances that challenged him to trust God and in doing so, God was building David's belief and hope factor. God was developing character in David. God was teaching David how to be confident and stand strong in the face of fear and terror. God was teaching David how to rely on God when all odds were against him. GOD WAS TEACHING DAVID HOW TO FIGHT GOLIATH BEFORE HE EVER FACED HIM...

I am now beginning to realize that my battle with obesity, was never about obesity. It was never about weighing 350 plus pounds. It was a context to build me, to strengthen me to teach me how to face opposition, fear, terror, the impossible - Everything I have been through and conquered in my life was to prepare me for what is to come. There are bigger giants that God wants me to fight and beating obesity was my playing field, it was my lions and bears. However, like David, God has prepared me for this. I am ready to seize the moment. God is taking me into territory and situations were He is saying to me, "Remember how I've taught you to fight. You can face this and so much more!"

The battles in my life have produced BIG FAITH in me - My prayer is that my faith would not be hindered, stifled, or impacted by disbelief around me - I pray for a culture shift in the church where faith becomes the norm, where we expect Great things from God simply because HE IS GOD!!! - Lord, may my faith impact my culture and may you raise up a generation of youth who are willing to accept your word when it defies human logic. Even better, Jesus will you remind those who are older in the faith that IT'S TOO LATE TO BELIEVE YOU FOR GREAT THINGS!!!

1 comment:

  1. Luv this n needed this... U r definitely an inspiration and motivating.

    1 Corinthians 2:9 KJV

    9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

    ReplyDelete