Psalms 37: 3-6 "Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness. Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him, and he will act. He will bring forth your righteousness as the light, and your justice as the noonday"
There is so much to be said about this passage. I will highlight what stands out the most to me but allow God to speak directly to your heart...
1. Trust in the LORD = This weight loss journey, and life and general, cannot be done with great peace and success outside of leaning on God every single step of the way. I mean really, how many times have we tried on our own to be successful to only fail because time after time we have attempted to do well, in our own strength...
2. Befriend Faithfulness = Goals mean nothing if we are not willing to see them through. The greatest failure that I have seen in this journey is people’s unwillingness to remain faithful, through doubt, disappointment, fear, frustration, temptations, etc etc. At the end of the day, I have made it this far, not because I have supernatural powers but because of my decision to remain committed and consistent. I am not the strongest athlete nor the most disciplined eater BUT, I AM FAITHFUL to pushing past, to enduring...this race is not given to the swift but to the one who ENDURES...this applies to EVERY AREA OF LIFE not just weight loss. We will never experiences the fruit, the joys that we seek in this life if we are not willing to BEFRIEND FAITHFULNESS...you can’t live on the mountaintop without climbing the mountain.
3. Delight in the Lord/Desires of your heart = It’s really easy to get antsy to get so close to your goal and get distracted by reaching the goal that you forget that this journey has always been about who God is crafting and creating you to be. I know first hand that as long as my eyes are set on Him, He will fulfill me. He will give me all that it requires to conquer and as I see myself conquering in this area of life, my hope and faith factor grows. My desires in life increase because I begin to realize that there is actually life out there for me to live and as my desires grow, I become more confident in the fact that God will produce goodness in my life, as I entrust my heart to him...Remember, God will never begin a journey in your life that He is has not already determined to get you across the finish line. And as I sit here, yet to have reached my finish line, with confidence I can still proclaim, as I delight in Him, He will produce in me and in my life. GOD FIRST, GOALS SECONDARY.
4. Commit/He Will Act = As stated before, God is moved by our willingness to trust Him. But until we are willing to commit to Him, His desires for us will never be produced in our lives. God wants us to choose Him. He could force us to choose Him be we were created be be in relationship with him, not to be His robots. I promise you, you will never wake up skinny or healthy. God is not going to work an overnight miracle in your life. God is in the business of creating life partners...God wants a relationship and not a robot. My addiction to food and forced me to t rust God and to trust that even in my addiction, He is more powerful and when I am honest with my weakness and commit my struggle to him, trust in His power, HE WILL ACT! Until I am willing to commit to God, I will always live defeated by my addiction to food but if I dare to commit to HIS PROMISE and HIS WAY, I am setup to SUCCEED AND THRIVE....GOD WILL ACT AND HE DOES ACT...TRUST HIM!!!
5. Your Righteousness as Light = Now this, I can testify to. You never ever have to settle or compromise. In Christ, you stick to His way and the righteous life you live will be a light in your world. I made a commitment to God that I would always give him the glory for my weight loss journey. No person, program, even myself, would get credit for what ONLY GOD could empower me to do. And because of this, my life has become ministry to the hopeless. God’s righteousness in me has become light in darkness...God is using my story to redeem hope in the hopeless...When you commit your way to the Lord, He will take the lowly, feeble, weak and redeem it and cause it be be a light BUT YOU CAN’T COMPROMISE. As Christians living in a world that rejects truth and godliness, it is difficult to stand for righteousness but in order to ever reap the fruits of kingdom labor, you must labor as the KING HAS INSTRUCTED. The promises of God come with obedience...If He is Lord than the requires us to submit. We often want the prize without the path....May God perfect righteousness in us that our lives may be a light in this dark world...Regardless of your sphere of influence, God is expecting us to rise to the occasion, shoot for His standard and SHINE!!!!